Saturday, March 14, 2015

Homemaker Hack: Storing Unopened Natural Peanut Butter

I love my natural peanut butter, but I Hate stirring the new jars! It's difficult, time consuming, and almost always messy.
I've tried a variety of methods to simplify the task. I've tried using wooden spoons, rubber spatulas (fail: the business end actually fell off and got buried in the jar for a week!), and even a Pampered Chef tool meant for breaking up hamburger. I've switched from the enormous 5 pound jars to the smaller 2.5 pound ones, just 'cause they're a bit easier.
Nothing really helps. I always spill some oil, and the bottom inch of peanut butter is always hard and dry.
In any case, I almost always remember to store the unopened jars upside down, just so the oil is at the bottom instead of splashing out as soon as I open it. But last time I shoved a couple of jars in the pantry, it was quite cluttered and, quite by accident, they ended up on their sides.
Eureka! Once turned upright, the oil was distributed more or less evenly from top to bottom. I stirred the jar with a butter knife, spilled nothing, and the whole task took about 1/4 the normal amount of time.
The only question I have for myself is "Why did it take me so long to figure that out?!"

The best part? Now I can stop trying to talk myself into purchasing one of these shanzzy hand mixers built right into a jar lid!

No comments: