Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Christmas Memories of Those We Have Lost

 


I don't know if anyone else remembers loved ones on their trees like this, but it's become something of a tradition for me since 2011. A friend gave me an ornament in memory of the barely-started baby we lost to miscarriage that year. I see we lost three grandparents in in 2014, David's sister in 2015, and of course Dad this year. I see somehow I missed making an ornament for Grandpa Pete in 2018 (I'll have to check that date), and two of my grandparents left us well before I started these. Thankfully I have more crosses in my stash, so I can go back and fill in those gaps. 

 
It is, of course, bitter sweet to put these up each year, and take them down again, but it's also a wonderful reminder of what this season is really all about. That baby we all celebrate on December 25 came to live, and more importantly, die for us. That sacrifice means that those who believe will not be long separated by physical death.
The back of each cross quotes John 11:25 where Jesus declared:
"I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies."
Elsewhere Jesus promises to wipe away every tear from the eyes of his people, when death itself is finally and permanently defeated.
I hope you too are living in that hope today.

 

No comments: