Sunday, March 29, 2020

Need a Mask?

Hey, all!
I've been making masks. Lots of masks. Maybe not masses of masks, but very nearly!
I am not donating these masks to hospitals. This is not because I don't believe that they need them, it's just that there are tons of people on that right now, but I still don't see Any of my neighborhood cashiers, baristas, or even fellow grocery shoppers wearing masks. 
So I would like to give YOU a mask. I don't care who you are or why you need it: I just want you to have one if you feel it would help you be safer. Do feel free to tell me what you'll use them for, though, 'cause I am curious!
If you want one, please drop me a line at annetteccollins@gmail.com. Make sure that you put "Mask" in the subject line, because I have a bad feeling that evil auto-crawling bots are going to generate a lot of spam.
Also, be sure to mention if you would prefer female, male, or neutral colors and patterns. 



Obviously these are not N95 certified masks capable of protecting you from the black plague, nuclear fall-out, or the zombie apocalypse. That said, they're far better than nothing, and quite possibly Nearly as good as a standard non-N95 medical mask. When combined with social distancing, sanitizer, and common sense, that is. Here are some tips on use.
0) Keep your clean mask in a clean zip-lock.
1) Sanitize your hands before picking up your clean mask.
2) Know which side is the front. Don't confuse them.
3) Always use the ear loops to put the mask on, and again when taking it off. Try not to handle the fabric.
4) After use, consider the outside of the mask "Dirty," just like the handle of your shopping cart! Fold your used mask with clean-to-clean, dirty-to-dirty surfaces touching (and outside), especially if you need to reuse it at the next stop. Maybe stick it back in a bag, Not your pocket.
5) Sanitize hands again after taking it off.
6) Wash your mask with your laundry, or by hand in hot water. (If there is a nose wire, remove it first. Trust me!) Dry in the dryer.
If it's sunny, line drying outside will be extra helpful - assuming you don't have any seasonal allergies! You Can boil your mask on the stove for 15 minutes. You can even put it in your Instant Pot. (Warning: colors will probably run.) But just machine washing Should be adequate.

Here's what some official-type people have to say about safe mask wearing.

And here's a great article from WIRED magazine on why it really makes sense to do this: It's Time to Face Facts, America: Masks Work





Do you want to make your own masks? It's really very easy, assuming you have a machine, cotton fabric, and 1/8 inch wide elastic. (Aye, there's the rub! This April, that stuff is Hard to find. I am using clear beading elastic about as thick as I can find. Others have found ways to use hair ties. Others are using fabric ties, but that quadruples production time and also makes them harder to put on.)

Here is a video from Deaconess medical center.

In a nutshell, you need two pieces of cotton, 9 by 6 inches. Kids masks (8 and under) can be 6 x 5.
Unlike the video, I am using only two tucks, because tucks are hard and someone said that having just two was OK.
Also unlike the video, I gave up on finding proper elastic. Instead I am using 1/4 to 1/2 inch wide loops of polyester ribbon sewn into each corner. I thread 12 inches of heavy elastic beading cord through and tie a loop as my final step. (Bonus: masks are easier to sew when not fighting internal elastic!)
I am considering adding a nose wire in my "mark 4" mask.
Someday I may even try a shaped mask. But for mass production, these are great and seem to do the job.



No comments: